With so many cheap services and tools out there that allow you build your own website how do you determine if you should hire a professional web design agency or just do it yourself?
Sure you can do it and people will tell you that it is easy; even that the website looks great but if it is not optimized for the search engines it will never be seen by your potential customers. No Search Engine visibility no customers no revenue and no profits.
Compare developing awebsite to creating a Bob Ross painting. He makes beautiful artwork witheasy brush strokes telling everyone they can easily do it too. Really? Have you tried to make a painting like his in 30 minutes? Bob says: “We don't make mistakes. We just have happy accidents.” Sadly on a website a simple mistake can not only drive you crazytrying to find or fix a mistake without the technical knowledge professional toolsor resources a do-it-yourself website entrepreneur may never find the correctsolution.
Because simple mistakes like missing a comma or semi-colon within the hundreds or thousands of lines of code on a website can take it down completely someone without the troubleshooting experience to recognize the issue and know where to look to find the mistake will spend many hours searching for answers trying to resolve the issue. The cost of inexperience adds hours of time to your website project and a lack of website optimization knowledge can create a completely ineffective marketing tool. Can your staff implement or troubleshoot a URL Redirections 404 Errors Retargeting Pixels JSON-LD Scripts Google Analytics or Schema?
Real Customers and Real Ecommerce Website Functionality Issues
Overlooked Real Costs of the Do-It-Yourself Ecommerce Websites
Cost Comparison: Professional Web Design Agency vs Do-It-Yourself
The indirect costs of the do-it-yourself websites are overlooked by many entrepreneur business owners with their desire to save money. The below indirect staff cost analysis shows that when the business does not have experienced technical staff to develop an ecommerce website it is much more cost-effective to hire a professional web design agency vice doing what our recent customer did in the scenario above. Below is a way to calculate the indirect costs of hiring a professional web design agency compared to the do-it-yourself website:
- Do-It-Yourself: ((1 Staff Salary X Man-hours) + (1 Staff Salary X Lost Productivity Man-hours)) X 6 Months = The Cost to create a website still missing functionality to conduct business online; cannot generate revenue; AND still requires the hiring of a Professional Web Design Agency to complete the website. (Costs in Salary and Lost Productivity of the staff member who was hired for a different functional position with a low salary over the six-month period.)
- Cost using a $20.00 Per Hour Staff Member for Six Months to Build the Website: (($20.00 x 160) + ($20.00 x 160)) X 6 = $38400.00
- Should the business not wish to recognize the associated Lost Productivity Costs for the Salary of the staff member; the costs of the incomplete ecommerce website still exceeded $14000.00. If there were more staff members involved the cost is much greater.
- The additional costs to hire the Professional Web Design Agency to resolve the functionality issues and complete the ecommerce website cannot be calculated until the Web Design Agency first analyzes the website to understand what needs to be fixed what needs to be added and finally do the work to complete the development of the website.
- Regardless of the completeness of the website when the new web design agency is hired to finish the project they must review everything and end up doing the same work they would have done if hired to develop the website from the beginning just to ensure it is done right.
- Hiring a Web Design Agency: The Professional Web Design Team will work with the business to create a completely functional ecommerce website that will start generating online revenue in 30-60 days. It will be fully functional optimized for Search Engines Social Media and Online Marketing.
- Development Costs: $10000.00 – $15000.00 for a fully functional ecommerce website.
If the recent customer in the above scenario had utilized a professional web design agency to build their ecommerce website from the beginning: