K-12 schools require better solutions for teachers to take attendance in the new virtual learning environment:
With school classrooms shut down due to the Covid-19 pandemic, schools needed a means to track which students were actually attending virtual classes. The popular online meeting tools (Zoom, Teams) don’t really have a simple means of:
- Reporting who attended the meeting
- Tracking when a student entered and / or left the meeting
- Secure the meeting to prevent disruption.
In addition, this information is not integrated with school district’s existing attendance solution. The current method of attendance taking involves teachers writing down who they see at a given point in time in the class, then reentering that data into their student information system. This takes away valuable learning time away from the students, and also has the potential to miss students who were late to class. If a school district can save 3 minutes per teacher per class of attendance taking, they can improve virtual learning significantly.
Build a fully integrated attendance tracking platform that integrates PowerSchool SIS classes with Microsoft teams to automate attendance:
Through our partnerships with PowerSchool and Microsoft, we were in a unique situation to integrate these two solutions.
- Our PowerSchool team developed an attendance solution to provide information that tie students to their course-load via their email addresses
- Our Microsoft Graph team built a Microsoft Teams tab that:
- Allows teachers to create Teams ‘Meetings’ for each of their sections for a day
- Allows students to access the Teams ‘Meetings’ for each of their classes
- Our Web Services team:
- Passed section information to Teachers for Meeting creation
- Passed section information to Students for Meeting action
- Received Meeting access information from out ‘tab’ to pass to our Attendance engine
Integrated Attendance Solution is simple, easy to install, and reduces teacher administrative tasks so they can focus on their students.
The fully integrated solution utilized our team’s strengths in integrating both with PowerSchool SIS API, and Microsoft Graph APIs. By creating an integration between these two business tools, we helped teachers during the pandemic focus on their student’s education and streamlined a time consuming and inaccurate process.
Our simple, secure, accurate, and automated tool for recording virtual attendance demonstrates how Capitol Tech Solutions is a leader in the digital transformation space. By taking tools that are commonly used, and finding better ways for them to be used, we are showing how business can be done more efficiently in the digital world.
Software Development Articles You May Find Helpful
We are proud to announce that Good Firms Directory lists Capitol Tech Solutions as Top Mobile App Development Companies in 2020. Good Firms is a...
Every year, the Sacramento Business Journal publishes their annual “Book of Lists,” naming top local companies in a variety of individual business...
Organizations unfamiliar with working remotely might find themselves anxious or unsure of the rules of engagement in a virtual world or unfamiliar...
Contact CTS today with your business issues, and see how our team can develop a solution for you.